Sunday, March 14, 2010

.::. I'm Hainanese .::.

I'm finally certified 'Hainanese'. Hahas...

Jason came to visit Emma all the way from France this weekend and they came over for lunch this afternoon. Obviously, I tried to cook something nice for them and Hainanese Chicken Rice is as Singaporean as a dish can go.

It's my first attempt at trying to cook Hainanese Chicken Rice from scratch. It's impossible that I'll cook this back in Singapore, when I could simply go and have my favourite 'Five Star Chicken Rice' easily? It's different here though, you simply reproduce whatever you felt like eating.



Here's me with my chicken. It has been cooked and soaked in ice water, waiting to be dripped dry. It's the first time I cooked a whole chicken, thank god the insides were already cleared when we bought the chicken. It feels somewhat weird holding a whole chicken.



Here's my chicken rice waiting to be cooked. I've stir-fried it with grated garlic and ginger, before cooking it with the chicken stock from my chicken.



My chicken cut up. The first time I cut a whole chicken too!



The Singaporean meal - Hainanese Chicken Rice. *yums! It actually tasted really good, though it took me 2 hours to prepare this meal.

I love the lifestyle here. If I were back in Singapore, I probably wouldn't cook like this anymore.

Mental note: Learn how to cook 'real' hainanese chicken rice from Joel's cousin's wife's father (who had a Hainanese Chicken Rice stall) when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment