Tuesday, April 8, 2014

.::. The renovation journey on hindsight .::.

It’s amazing how many people have read about my renovation and are still writing to me for advice more than a year after my renovation ended.  My renovation posts have become the most read on the blog. The somewhat embarrassing part is when closer friends and neighbors tell me that their friends read about my place and had something nice to say. Some ask if they could bring their friends over to take a look. It’s flattering when people see our renovation as an inspiration – Thank you! Yes, it was the most difficult period and painful memories for us, but I'm glad many have benefited from our experience. I didn’t think that I expected such a huge audience when I journal my renovation almost daily (it consumed me) and I think there’re definitely things that I would have done differently if I had the chance again. I usually write for myself, and do read my old entries. It all started as a dream of having my own place and decorating it, and remembering it for years to come. 


For many months, renovation took center-stage of my life and I researched extensively. I read forums about people’s experiences, researched about different materials and their pros and cons, and looked for inspiration from everywhere. It’s just me. For most of the things I do, I spend a lot of time reading up and gathering information before going into it. I don’t trust ‘experts’ who are also sales people – it’s not true that ‘experts’ know best. These experts know best how to cheat you and chop you like a carrot for their own benefit too, knowing that most people are easily convinced. That's partly why I do not want to go into sales. If you’ve seen how sales and marketing people are trained to convince people to part with their money, you would get what I mean. People are always taken in by convincing sales talk and freebies. I don’t ever meet ‘experts’ before doing my own homework and research, and that goes from insurance to things like beauty products. And I seldom commit or buy things the first time I see it, I usually go back to think about it no matter how interested I am. Don’t they say knowledge is power? Things I am into lately are nutrition and fitness, and financial freedom. =)

And despite all the research and effort I’ve put into my renovation, there are still things which I regret on hindsight! People keep asking me if I've anything else to share, and I think these are probably the last few points on hindsight:

1.       Table-top basin

These are what almost everyone seem to be using these days, and I’ve never questioned why or thought of alternatives. They come in different shapes and some in beautiful colors. I really regret getting them because it’s extremely difficult to clean and it reduces counter space. There’re the small gaps at the sides of the sink and between the sink and the tap that is a disaster to clean! I don’t have small hands, and having to clean the small gaps drive me crazy. Water will drip into the gaps and mix with dust before it dries up. Multiply this process many times and you can imagine the amount of filth that has to be cleaned (or ignored). I hate them, and I'd love to change them away if I've the chance!

2.       Black solid-top 

We didn’t get this by choice but ended up with this (let's not go into why). The only reason why I chose black galaxy granite was because it’s durable and relatively cheap. I would have wanted a marble top if budget wasn’t of concern. Anyway, black solid tops are the worst solid-tops to get. It scratches very easily (ours was scratched by the cardboard box of washing powder) and dust is very visible. Watermarks are also very annoying. I’ve to clean it often and then dry it with kitchen paper to avoid seeing watermarks.

3.       Glass screens 

The husband wanted glass screens for a nicer look, although I really didn’t mind shower curtains which come in many beautiful patterns these days. I do agree that it looks nicer, but the beauty does not last! The screen is very difficult to clean and becomes ‘frosted’ with water marks (and dust?) that does not come off even scrubbed with glass cleaners. Worst thing is that the bottom silicon turns black and the metal parts rust (it only took few months). The toilet window is always opened for ventilation and the husband has changed it at least once, and it’s already really black again now.

4.       Lights

I’ve got to admit that I probably got too many lights. Having to clean them can be a chore! I do not like lights and I seldom even on those in the kitchen and corridor! I only on the one at the kitchen counter while cooking, and the living room only uses one of the spot lights and dining light.

5.       L-box & false ceiling

The L-box was added as we were worried that the living room might not be bright enough with 2 rows of 3 spot lights.  We have barely on the cove lights and seldom on the down lights! They say that cleaning will be a headache, and I can’t imagine how much dust has accumulated in the gaps. The other false ceiling is in the room because the husband wanted it, probably since he’s used to having it in his old room. We seldom on it too, and I really think that it’s not worth sacrificing 2 inch of my ceiling for it. A normal single light like in the guest/study room would have suffice.

Things that I’m glad we did!

1.       Brick wall

Because I really wanted it and love how it creates a different feel instantaneously. No, wallpaper or plaster is cheaper but doesn't give the same feel. Moreover, cleaning and maintaining it is really not difficult! I cleaned it once with the magic clean wand, and it was really painless and wasn’t even dirty. I’m not sure why, but I expected it to be dirtier. The wand emerged relatively clean. The top of my fridge was so much dirtier – it was black with clumps of dust.

2.       Kitchen yard windows with top opening 

This is great for ventilation and you can leave it open perpetually because rain doesn’t come in. A neighbor recommended it and our contractor gave us the same price as normal windows although it’s slightly more expensive. I love it because we can leave it open when it rains and wind still comes it. Also helps for people like us who hangs our laundry indoor.

3.       Electrical points

I can’t emphasize this enough. Think of where you would use the plugs and have more of them. Otherwise, you’ve have many extension cables running across the rooms. An additional point may cost $50 but an extension plug will probably cost $20 plus ugly wires.


4.       Haiku fan

It’s really silent and ventilates the room very well. Not to mention that it looks pretty and feels different from the normal KDK ceiling fan. I would gladly pay for another one although it is indeed getting expensive.


5.       Storage space

There’s never enough storage and I’m really glad we did as much storage as we reasonably can. We’ve 30ft of kitchen cabinets, 1 full-height shoe shelf, 2 wardrobes, 1 book shelf, 2 toilet vanity and 3 small cardboards on the bay window. All of them are filled, including the store room racks. And we don't even have kids.


6.       Living room mirrors

I think the mirrors add space and light to the living room and toilet. Cleaning isn’t bad at all.

Our utilities bill come to about S$80/month on average, sometimes lesser. We seldom on the air-con (usually during ironing or for a few hours before bed), cook with induction about 3 times a week, boil water with electric kettle, have a huge 2-door fridge, does laundry 2-3 loads a week, have our modem/repeater perpetually on and have a dog.

We spent about $20K on furniture and appliances above the $40K on renovation. Most of the furniture/applicances were put on interest-free installments whenever possible as we were quite broke then. Most of them took a year to clear. While it’s a great way to earn points/rebates and less strenuous financially this way, do factor in the cost to your monthly budget and pay them on time!

Meanwhile, while enjoying our new home,  I already have lots of ideas for our next renovation (although I’ve no clue if there’s ever another one). The toilet (and kitchen) may be top on my list. Or perhaps it’ll be the future baby room that will get a little renovation done. =)

The thing with renovation is that it cost an arm and a leg (please do your due diligence and homework!) and it’s something that you’ll have to live with for many years (at least 5 for BTO). It’s difficult and disruptive to do minor renovations afterwards. Even if I do not like my toilet solid tops nor the glass panels and my toilet sink, and the L-box, it’s going to be very troublesome to get people willing to do such small jobs and very dirty! As muc h as I've many ideas for the next renovation already, I do think that we'll have the budget to do one nor upgrade our place anytime soon.

I will still reply emails (I'm faster on emails than comments), but I don't think I've much to contribute anymore. Renotalk forums have been a huge source of knowledge, and there's so many amazingly beautiful HDB flats these days that mine pales in comparison now.

Good luck!

8 comments:

  1. Hi hi,

    Would you mind sharing how much Mr. K charge for the cement screed wall for your renovation?

    I am in the midst of negotiating with my ID, and I'm not sure about the 'normal' charges of cement screed wall. Currently the charges is 2900 for 10ft, and he told me that is the standard price. I still didn't get the idea, as i thought craft brick should be more expensive due to the resources.

    Hope you can share it with me. You can also email me at dpyuffy@yahoo.com
    Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i think i paid $500 for my cement screed wall..contractor said that he gave me a good price and 'did not earn' from that..my cement screed wall was a top-up after we signed the contract and agreed of pricing..but it's really just cement with a worker working on it for half a day! my wall is about 6ft..2900 sounds like a rip-off..sounds like an expensive and not very honest ID IMHO.. =x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful read! Your post proved how knowledgeable you are in the process of home renovation. Your readers can use this as an inspiration if they are up to some renovation, and this will really be helpful. I really felt your passion while reading, and I can just imagine how beautiful your home is. Anyway, thanks for sharing! It was a pleasure to have stumbled upon your blog. All the best to you!

    Kendra Tran @ LECO Concrete Forms

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, thanks for your informative post! May i know what did you check for in terms of electrical compatibility and safety before buying your ceiling fans? Thanks very much! ceiling fan with light singapore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thank you for your blog entries. Very honest & real. I found it as I was doing Reno research but I enjoy your other posts too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice post having useful information.
    Thanks for sharing !!
    False Ceiling Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're looking for the best Singapore renovation contractor look no further than SSH Reno! To learn more about our products and services please click below links.

    Wall Plastering Singapore & Tiles contractor singapore

    ReplyDelete