Wednesday, May 2, 2012

.::. IDs and Attitude .::.

So, we managed to meet another contractor-ID tonight.  We rushed down after work to one of his completed project at Serangoon North.  It's super ulu to me, don't seem to have much around and isn't near MRT.  The view was pretty good and it was pretty windy though.

The flat was pretty simply done up, not much of a theme.  I've got to say that old houses are really bigger. What the hell is our MP saying, that our flats have remained the same size through the years?!  Has this guy stepped into HDB flats?  Foe one, old HDB flats does not have wasted corridor space nor bomb shelters and air-con ledge.  These are pretty substantial living space which are wasted now.  Do I believe that I'll be safe in the bomb shelter when anything happens?  Hell no.  I always tell the husband, the whole stack of bomb shelter in my stack will fall and I'm not going to survive from such a high floor.

Anyway, I'm really jealous of their huge bedrooms, kitchen, living rooms and store room.  The workmanship was pretty decent and the guys were very friendly and willing to accommodate.  Quotation wise, they are pretty reasonable and willing to negotiate.

The dilemma comes mainly from a quotation from a relative, who offered to help us with renovations and  was supposed to quote us at 'cost'.  However, despite the very competitive quotes for carpentry works, we were chopped for many other works.  We tried to negotiate, but when we went down, we waited for 2 whole hours!  Negotiation failed flat because he wasn't willing to negotiate at all and insisted that he was not earning our money and he has never made such low margins - 12%.  He got really defensive and agitated when we started counting items at psf prices.  I really wasn't very happy about these:

1. We waited for more than 2 weeks for the quotation.
2. We had to wait for 2 hours - time is money.
3. His attitude, like he's doing us a favor and did not want our business at all because he has many other customers.
4. Many details were not clear.  The number of sinks we chosen, the hobs I chosen, the accessories.
5.  I was overcharged for many items.  E.g. he claimed to give us a good price for the EF hobs and hoods because he's the distributor.  However, he charged me $310 for a particular model which I could get for $215 plus free delivery.  Other items include $320 labor to dismantle a PLASTIC partition in the common toilet.  He claims that it's very reasonable because disposal is required.  Labor cost for installing/plumbing works came to $1550.
6.  I dislike it that it seemed like we were given many 'free' things, when in fact, these 'free' things were sponsored from overcharging us.  I value integrity and honesty, don't give me bullshit like that because I've done my research.
7.  ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE.  I am paying 40k for this, and I expect service!  This is hard-earned money and my parents were kind enough to sponsor a very substantial amount as a wedding gift.
8. The time line and coordination work is unclear.  I am almost sure that our job will be dragged and if there are any issues, it's going to be difficult to negotiate.
9.  A simple online research showed bad reviews, bad service and some delays.

His carpentry works are really very competitive, but the quote is definitely not at cost.  Despite all the freebies, his quote is still about 10-20% more expensive than the contractor/ID we spoke to.  The only difference is the insides of the carpentry work, because he offers laminates instead of the normal white PVC which does look nicer and probably last longer.

However, I really can't bring myself to accept such service and lack of recourse and frustration if the renovation works does not go smoothly.  And because he's a relative and is 'doing us a favor by offering such a good price', there's going to be many complications.  Moreover, we have waited for more than 2 weeks for a quote, god-knows-how-many-weeks for an adjusted quote and 3D drawings if we go ahead with him.  Plus, god-knows-how-long our renovation will drag.

It has come down to a choice between good service/attitude and laminates for the the carpentry.   And seriously, I would choose good service and someone accommodating and not gek-kao over small things for my renovation works.  I'd rather sacrifice some aesthetics and work within my budget.  At the same price, I can get carpentry works with laminates and soft closing but put up with bad service and tolerate delays, or, I can get good service and attitude without delays but accept PVC insides instead of laminates.

Overall, I'm really frustrated about how things have evolved.  It's very tiring doing research and more research to find a good ID.  I'm still waiting for a quotation from a recommended contractor and going to meet up with another one this Saturday at site.

Please, please, let me find a good and reliable one within budget soon.

I guess, I've made up my mind after the last meeting.  I can't pay for such service, I simply can't.

I'm really tired.  Too much on my plate.

And before I finalized or started on my renovations, the hotel says they'll contact us to start planning the wedding details soon!  Gosh.  I wished I had more time, wished I didn't have to work but still have money for renovation, wished I didn't need to sleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment