Monday, October 22, 2012

.::. Braised Duck .::.

Mummy used to make braised duck, and it's one of the FIL's favorite dishes too.  And I am very much addicted to Teo Chew Muay these days after the husband made me a convert.  I used to think that Teo Chew Muay was for old people till the husband brought me for Teo Chew Muay repeatedly despite my protests.  Now, I have it for breakfast many times a week and felt like reproducing my favorite dishes at home.

I didn't follow exactly any recipe.  Mummy only gave me some instructions and I googled some recipes and did it my own way.  It did turn out pretty well though the husband thinks the meat is not tender enough.  The tastes was there, perhaps longer braising might be required.

Ingredients:
Garlic
5 spices powder
Blue Ginger
Ginger
Lemon Grass
Cinnamon Stick
Peppercorns
Start Anise
Dark Soy Sauce
Sugar

(1) I did it with a whole duck.  Cut the legs and the head.  Blanch it in boiling water and leave it to cool and drip dry.

IMG_0883

(2) Marinate it with 5-spcies powder and dark soy sauce overnight.

IMG_0884

(3) Heat up some oil and sauté the garlic and blue ginger and ginger till fragrant.

IMG_0894

(4) Add the lemon grass (cut the stalk into pieces) and stir for awhile more.

(5) Add a few teaspoons of sugar to cover the bottom of the pot and let it caramelize.

IMG_0897

(6) Add the other spices in and stir for awhile before adding dark soy sauce and water.  I added a bottle (500ml).

IMG_0898

(7) Let it boil for 15 minutes before adding in the duck.

(8) Braise the duck and turn it regularly if liquid does not cover duck fully.

IMG_0899

I braised it for about 2-3 hours, and it turned out beautifully although the meat did not turn dark.

Tip: I cut out some duck fats to sauté with the garlic and blue ginger to give it more taste.

IMG_0383

And these were the dishes for teo chew muay for the night.

Braised duck was a success.  =) 

The husband gave me a 7/10, and complained that the duck meat wasn't tender enough.  Pretty good comments generally and good enough for the first try!



No comments:

Post a Comment