Monday, September 30, 2013

.::. When September ends... .::.


September has come to an end, ending the 3rd quarter of the year.

August was crazy. We joined the hordes of people leaving Singapore for the National Day long weekend, and after we got back, August just flew by. August was his nephew’s birthday – the special one - because he first brought me to meet his family at his nephew’s birthday as a friend 9 years ago. He was still a little boy then, but all grown up now. Then there was an old friend’s baby shower and another who has just given birth. Lots to celebrate and I’m overflowing with love for the people I care about.

September is the husband’s and brother’s birthday. I’ve got it all planned and ready! The past few years has been a blur. Last year’s September was during our difficult renovation period while the year before was the ballot for flats and subsequently planning our ROM. I can’t seem to remember what we’ve done, but I had it all planned this year. His birthday present was already shipped to our home some weeks ago – this indented Eames lounge chair in Oak which he has been eyeing since before renovation but budget did not allow us to get it.

September is also my tuitee’s PSLE exams. I’ve been contemplating to stop teaching tuition to focus on building a career and business instead. It’s extremely tiring to juggle work, teaching, ACCA classes and a new project. It’s a tough choice to make and part of me can’t bear to stop as I enjoy teaching and get a lot of satisfaction from the children I teach. It’s been almost 10 years since I’ve been teaching and I never stopped except for that year in Sweden. Part of me still wonders if I should teach for a living, simply because it’s something I enjoy doing. But after 6 MOE rejections despite my honors and a masters’ degree, a large part of me thinks that I shouldn’t force things and it isn’t meant to be. Afterall, teaching is a very small portion of a teacher’s job and I’m not too sure I will enjoy teaching with the politics and all.

September is also the month that I’ve finally finished paying for most of the installments for our household appliances! No more huge credit card bills even when I haven’t bought anything. I can’t remember the last time I shopped for myself. These days, I’m extra cautious about spending, because thinking of the future sends a shudder down my spine.  Cars are out of reach – we’re not sure about spending 2 grand every month. Children are ridiculously expensive with estimated cost at SGD$250,000 to rear a child in Singapore. The people around me ends up with hospital bills of between $8,000  - $18,000 just for giving birth at private hospitals. =_=” No wonder the husband insists on having more savings before we have kids.

Lastly, September is also a special month because we’ll launching a little dream, something which a few of us have been working on for the past weeks.

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” Lao Tzu

May this year end with a high-note! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment