Tuesday, August 23, 2016

.::. Positivity .::.

I started teaching this Primary 6 boy maths early this year. My cousin asked if I wanted to take him up as he was very weak academically and his parents were desperately seeking help. When I started teaching him, he got below 20/100 for his exams. It was truly a stuggle and I suspect that he's slow because he has dyslexia. He was eager to please and adored me. Although we were hopeful for him to pass his CA, he only got 31/100, which was an improvement anyway. By his mid-year exams, he got 57/100 and he's now so much more confident in himself.

I'm preparing him for his prelims now, and I moved his goal up to 70 (from 65) - because I believe that he has room to grow and it's always better to aim for the stars to land on the moon. While looking at his school file today, my heart ache a little upon reading the comments his school teacher made on his work. 'Very poor' appeared many many times, there's also I'm very disappointed with your attitude.' He's a little hyperactive and takes some patience to handle, but he inherently still wants to do better - who doesn't anyway? Teachers should help every child fulfill his best potential and such comments does nothing but hurt a child and makes the lose confidence in themselves. Instead of 'Very poor' why not say 'Try harder'? Instead of saying 'I'm very disappointed' why not say 'I believe you can do better'. No one needs such negativity from anyone and such words doesn't serve much purpose except to demoralize and hurt people.

What we say affects a child more than we ever imagined. I still remember how I felt when my parents told me I was 'lucky' that I got 99 marks and questioned why didn't I get 100 marks instead. Such words can really make a child feel inadequate and unworthy. 

Let's remember to always be kind and to say only positive and constructive things, especially to a child.


No comments:

Post a Comment