Sunday, January 7, 2018

.::. My Breastfeeding Journey - 3 Months! .::.

So I've reached the first milestone of exclusively breastfeeding Jaime, quite effortlessly I might say.  It was been easier than what I've read or expected, though fatigue is real. I have to be really thankful for abundance of milk that enabled me to exclusively breastfeed her since Day 4.  Throughout the past 3 months, I didn't have much issues at all, apart from having some clogs twice that I engaged a massage lady to help.  Other than that, I never had any blisters nor bleeding nor sore nipples.  Seriously, if you choose the right sized flange and right level of suction from a good pump (I'm using Spectra S1), you should not feel pain from pumping.

I always read that baby is the 'best pump' but it's something I really wonder about since every baby is different and not every baby can suck well.  Not all baby can empty the breast either, and I know many mums end up with mastitis as they only direct latch. There's so much information about breastfeeding, and without knowledge, it's difficult to have a successful breastfeeding journey.

I started out with 8 pumps a day, pumping every 3 hours religiously.  By 3 weeks, I was dragging my night pumps, pumping at around midnight and waiting for Jaime to cry for her feed before pumping again.  She usually woke up at 5am for milk, then I would pump.  She slowly dragged her wake time, and by 8 weeks, she slept for 11 hours straight and I would wake up to pump at 7am when the husband wakes up for work.  I slowly pumped less, usually 5-6 times a day.  By the time I reached the 3rd month, I'm pumping 3 times a day, conditioning my body for work.  Supply wise, I was making more till about 8 weeks, then it stagnated for abit before increasing slightly again.  I'm making consistently 1.5-1.6L a day now, even with 3 pumps a day.

I'm hoping that I can keep up with the supply after going back to work, that's when the challenge officially starts.  It has been quite effortless thus far, given that I've only been pumping 3x a day, and I can only hope that we can sustain this till after her surgery and hopefully past the one year mark.

And yes, it wasn't that bad!  I'm sharing that it wasn't that tough for me, not because I've anything to boast about, but because we hear many more complaints and horror stories than successful, happy ones.  Everytime people post about abundance of milk, they're always shot down and judged.  All we see is mums struggling with breastfeeding and how tough it is, deterring some from even trying.  I'm sharing because I believe that with the right information and knowledge, breastfeeding can be successful minus the pain.

Advice I believed made a difference:

- The first days and weeks are crucial.  Latch or pump every 3 hours, otherwise it'll be very tough to establish supply later on.  Not impossible, but tough, steep uphill climb. DO NOT sleep through the night and expect milk to come in.  The consequence of not doing this 8x a day religiously is possibly insufficient milk supply.  We make our own choices and bear the consequences.

- Choose the right flange size and a good pump; or establish a good latch in the early days.  Depending on which suits you, make sure that both is done in the first few days to avoid pain.

- Eat well, drink enough and rest more.  Your body needs the fuel and fluids to make milk, so stuff yourself with food and drink at least 3L of water.

Just keep doing these 3 and keep going, milk supply will eventually come.  Some people may take longer than others, but don't think and just keep going.  There was one mama whom I donate milk to for her infant because she wasn't latching well and didn't have enough wet diapers.  Baby had jaundice but she wasn't able to pump enough.  After 2 months, her supply was sufficient and she eventually managed to build a stash.

There are many successful stories out there!  Pump on~

No comments:

Post a Comment