Wednesday, August 25, 2010

.::. Malay Village .::.

I've been having lessons every weekend at SAA, Aljunied. It can be quite tiring and depressing to have lessons till 11pm! Luckily, Joel comes to pick me up and have supper after classes most of the days. We had my favourite tau huay at Geylang Lorong 39 although both of us didn't have dinner (we were still full from the buffet in the afternoon. He suggested that we visit the Malay Village after and we went.

Honestly, I'm not that keen, and I was tired. But I'm mostly up for anything he suggests, since it's extremely rare that he opens his mouth and actually wants something. It was somewhat a date, since we really don't seem to do much apart from having meals together these days. The last time we visited the Malay Village (and my first time) was about 4 years back, when he was staying nearby. I still remembered that we got some malay snacks too.



The pretty lights that reminds me of Christmas on Orchard Road.



The pretty decorations, it's just like Chinese New Year, but obviously the malay version.



They also have bak kwa (barbecued pork slices)! But it's Halah and obviously not made of pork.



There are many shops selling colourful traditional malay costumes and this apparently famous cartoon character on the right. We saw many kids hugging the toy, but have no idea what character is it.

I think it's very cute that the whole family tailor-makes similar clothes for the whole family and wear it out to visit their relatives during Hari Raya. You can always see the whole family taking the train during that period, all decked out in colourful traditional costumes in similar colour and design! I kinda want to visit a malay friend's house for Hari Raya to experience how they celebrate their new year, but I only have one malay friend and I can't invite myself right?

I enjoyed the 'date' though. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment