Sunday, August 14, 2011

.::. Statue of Liberty .::.

What is a trip to New York City without visiting the Statue of Liberty? It's one of those things which you must do as a tourist.

We booked crown tickets online 3 months ago, so that we can climb all the way up. It's really exclusive as there are only 240 tickets available a day. Once you reach the island, you've supposed to visit the vistors' center to register with your passport and tickets first. Security was also very tight and we had to deposit all our belongings in paid lockers provided. We only went up with the camera, which was a good thing since it was a good, hard climb up.



The last time the boyfriend came, he got tickets to the pedestal, but did not get to go up as he missed his timing! They were so busy snapping pictures around the statue that they forgot the time!

Thus, we got there early! The ferry to Ellis Island gave a very good view of New York City.



This is the winding stairs up to the crown.



It is a 334 steps climb!



Here I am, finally reaching the top of the Statue!

It was hot and stuffy on the narrow, winding staircase! I was dripping sweat by the time I reached the top!



Here we are, on the Statue of Liberty's crown.

There are 2 soldiers stationed at the crown. They rotate shifts every hour and climb those stairs at least once a day! It's so hot and tiring, but I guess they must have got used to it.



This is a glimpse of the torch from the dirty windows from the crown!

There isn't that much to see from the small and dirty windows at the crown. The view wasn't that fantastic either. Part of me wondered, why the hell did we want to get the crown tickets anyway??

I never questioned the boyfriend when he enthusiastically got me to book the tickets 3 months in advance - I just did it. It's like like the many climbs up churches in Europe. The mentality is always - since we're already here, why not climb up to take a look?

It's always very tiring, since traveling is hard on the feet! However, the experience is always memorable, because of how tiring it is! He's always the happy boy bouncing up the stairs and laughing at me when I'm sweaty and tired.



It's a really narrow climb up, my feet is even bigger than the stairs and it makes me giddy turning round and round! I had to hold the railings and climb down really carefully. Not for the faint-hearted!



Here is us at the pedestal. It's windy and I felt so much better getting out of the stuffy interior. The 360 view was alot better here and you had more space to take pictures and walk about.



Statue of Liberty and us.



Miss Liberty is heavy, she needs to go on a diet!



And here's the boyfriend with Miss Liberty.

Funny shots are obligatory as you see rows of people trying to take all sorts of funny pictures! It's fun, abit like our experience at Pisa.

Did you know that there's a mini Statue of Liberty in Paris near the Eiffel Tower? I didn't know that until the boyfriend read up about the Statue of Liberty. If I had known, we would have visited it when we were in Paris!

Anyway, the crown access to the Statue of Liberty will be closed for reworks for a year. Luckily we got up before the renovations, otherwise I would have been disappointed - just like how disappointed I was about the reflections pool renovations in Washington!


No comments:

Post a Comment