Friday, August 12, 2011

.::. NDP 2011 .::.

It was Singapore's 46th Birthday on 9th August 2011.

Like every year, we have this huge parade with marching, air displays, parachutes, shows and fireworks. I wonder if any countries celebrate National Day like we do?

It may be somewhat 'communist' rooted and propaganda to celebrate the country's birthday in such style. Afterall, quite a considerable amount of resources are dedicated to this show yearly and full-rehearsals start from end-June.

People can say what they like, but I believe that many Singaporeans are proud of Singapore like I am. I do feel exceptionally nationalistic during National Day, but looking back at how far we have came the past 46 years make me feel really blessed.

How many countries achieved such prosperity in a short 46 years after independence? How many countries this small without any natural resources has become so well-known internationally? Above all, how many countries are as safe as Singapore? People can look down on us and say whatever they want, but only true-blue Singaporeans realize how precious Singapore is, despite all the complaints we have.

This year, the brother got us preview tickets as he was on 'Chinook' with the flag. I love National Day Parades, and I have been to countless ones in Kallang Stadium. It's always really hot, very crowded, yet I enjoy every parade so much. It's the atmosphere, the kallang wave, the sea of red and the adrenaline rush I get. I especially like the sing-along part, although it's really scaled down now.

This was the first time the boyfriend is watching a parade live, ever! He has drove a tank at NDP during his NS period, but it isn't the same as being there!



It's my first time watching the parade on Marina Platform. The backdrop is beautiful, with MBS and the water in the background.



Everyone's waving the flag with the tall buildings in the Central Business District buildings as backdrop.



love it when everyone's happy.



How can we miss the annual parachute display? They make it look so effortless, and they've beautiful custom-made parachutes with special red smoke emitted from their leg this year.



The neat contingents.



And the fireworks display was spectacular this year. Pure beauty.

Which other county celebrates National Day like we do? It's pretty ridiculous how much money and resources we spend on this. I love it though.

My first memory of National Day was when my dad drove us to some flat grass patch in Marina Bay to watch fireworks. I remembered that we could see fireworks from our window every year, but there was this particular year which he decided to drive us there. I remembered how he described it would look like. I vaguely remembered bad traffic and many cars. I think we made it in time. You could just sit on the grass and look up at the beautiful fireworks which seemed to come closer and closer to you. The sound was deafening, and I felt so excited.

It was loud, it was bright, it was beautiful.

It looked spectacular through my young eyes.

That memory is etched in my mind. My love of fireworks began since then. Fireworks were pretty rare then, we only get to see it during National Day. We slowly get to see it more often, but people always flocked to such occasions. Perhaps this explains why I made the boyfriend watch fireworks with me so often though it meant squeezing in the crowds and going really early to get a good view.

Fireworks has since lost some of its appeal, or perhaps I'm really more adverse to crowds now.

But still, I love fireworks. And I love Singapore.

It's strange. I love traveling, I loved the year I spent in Europe away from home and I love many other countries. I envy some things about other countries which we do not have, and I complain about the way some things are in Singapore.

At the end of the day, I can't think of any other place that I want to live. Singapore is simply home. I love it the way it is, and I'm proud to be a Singaporean. We are so distinctive as Singaporeans - you can always detect one everywhere you go from that familiar Singaporean accent and Singlish or that crumpler bag and haviannas slippers. I love Singapore's food and the variety we get here, I can't go without it for that long.

Despite the stressful lifestyle, the crowded trains, the expensive houses and rat race, I still can't give Singapore up to be a second-class citizen in another country who sees me as an outsider/intruder. I would rather stay put, and who says your country is better than mine?

There is no place better than home.

No comments:

Post a Comment