Saturday, September 17, 2011

.::. Happy Teachers' Day .::.




Received these a few weeks ago, unexpectedly. It really made my day. I don't exactly see myself as a 'teacher' really.

I practically never stopped teaching tuition since I started 7 years ago and I love teaching these kids and seeing them improve/struggle with maths questions. I like to tease them and joke around with them, yet I'm known to be pretty strict and 'fierce' too.

My greatest memory of teaching is when my students remembered my birthday and pooled their pocket money (20 cents each) to buy me a packet of my favourite lemon tea from the coffeeshop. I was so touched!

I only teach a few groups of tuition at home since I'm working full-time now. I've turned down so many students since I'm already over-worked!

It's somewhat shocking when I realized that I actually look forward to seeing these kids on the weekends and wake up in anticipation in the morning. I worry about their results and can't wait to see how they fared. I can't say that I have the same enthusiasim when it comes to getting up for work 5 days a week.

Teaching feels right and the satisfaction from teaching is something which I don't think I will ever experience from working for a corporation. It's a ruthless rat race out there, in contrast to the kids innocence and aspirations. Through them, I retain that little bit of innocence and joy in learning (from them).

Another batch of students is heading for their PSLE exams very soon, and I'm glad I made an impact on their lives.

There are times when I really wonder if teaching is my calling.

It's a tad late, but Happy Teachers' Day!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment