Monday, November 14, 2011

.::. Suited .::.

We finally went to the tailor for his suit.

We have tried so many places, but none of the suits suit him. When the shoulders fit, it simply looks like he's swimming in his suit. He has too broad shoulders and a tiny waist.

I brought him to Kingsmen at my ex-colleague's recommendation. He has always recommended this tailor, he's a long-time customer and comes for tailor-made shirts every year. He's very particular about service and his shirts are noticeably fitted. Upon googling about tailors, I realized that Kingsmen is indeed popular, and peoples' comments are usually 'go for it if you can afford it'. Apart from Kingsmen, there were also a few famous tailors in Singapore, one in Tanglin Shopping Mall and the other at Raffles Hotel.

Prices for 3-piece suits start from about 800, tailored shirts for about 130.


This is where we were served. I was somewhat surprised that this is run by a Chinese family. Just before we arrived, he asked if it was an Indian tailor and I realized that I had no clue.

They were tending to customers when we arrived, but asked us to wait for awhile. The service was really good. They asked you what you wanted, color preference etc. There were also other customers who seemed to be regulars, and you can notice that they really enjoy serving their customers. There was also an ang-moh customer who was featured in the 'Nan You' magazine in their suit.


I guess we were pretty comfortable and the boyfriend can be pretty willing to pay for quality once in a while. After all, it's once-in-a-lifetime and he can wear this for our traditional wedding again while I buy my Vera Wang online! No need for overpriced bridal packages!

There was 2 very old and experienced masters who took his measurements, one for the shirt/coat and the other for pants. They are really old and kept spurting numbers in cantonese while the sales guy wrote it down on a piece of paper. Then they'll suggest certain styles that suits you body shape.

His 4-piece suit with a vest and extra pair of pants was a hefty $1,495. Very pricey, but coats alone (that doesn't fit him) easily cost $599, so I guess it's gonna be worth the buck.


We chose this design, in a darker color. I'm going to buy him a Tiffany blue tie to go with it!

I think he's going to look like a million bucks on our special day.

I was really happy with the personalized service, it's essential when you are paying so much! Good service is really extremely rare in Singapore these days. We are going down for fitting this weekend and collecting the suit in about 4 weeks, a few days before our ROM. The paranoid me actually trusts that they would make it in time without any glitches like they promised.

If I were a man, I probably wouldn't mind paying for 5 new tailor-made shirts every year.

CONTACT US
KINGSMEN SHOP
14, Scotts Road #02-56/57/76/77 Far East Plaza
Singapore 228213
Operating hours:
» Mon-Sat (11:00am - 7:00pm)
» Sun & Public Holidays (For appointments only)
Tel: (65) 6733 3581
Fax: (65) 6733 9258

No comments:

Post a Comment