Monday, January 30, 2012

.::. Reunion Dinner .::.

I had 2 reunion dinners on Chinese New Year eve this year, one at 6pm and one at 8pm.

Although the husband would like me to join his reunion dinner, I insisted on going for my own reunion dinner.  It's probably the last year which I could actually insist after all, and I didn't really want my family to have our reunion dinner on another day just because of me.  It ended up that the timing was possible for me to make it to both!



Mummy and the sisters.



How can you have reunion dinners without Yusheng?



Second round at the Overseas Restaurant.  The food was pretty good, the roasted pork is famous.



Looks like the kid are having fun among themselves.

As much as eating out on reunion dinner is the norm nowadays, don't you miss those good old days when  families cook a feast and gather together?

Nothing beats good-old home-cooked food, especially during such festive days.  My grandmother used to really put in effort to cook many sumptuous dishes on during such festive seasons and all of us would squeeze in the tiny kitchen and eat around a charcoal steamboat.

Chinese New Year is getting less interesting these years.  I remembered making all kinds of CNY goodies with my aunts and grandmother from young.  We would spend hours and many weekends in the kitchen, kneading dough, mixing flour and even making egg rolls one by one from scratch.  You'll have to quickly roll it when it's very hot, otherwise it'll harden once it's cools.  It was hard work, but good fun and made up a huge part of my childhood memories.

As such traditions die off, I wonder what would my kids remember of Chinese New Year in future?  Simply another day when you eat in a restaurant and call pizza/Mac delivery because no shops are open?

No comments:

Post a Comment