Wednesday, March 21, 2012

.::. Salt or Pepper Shake? .::.

Do pepper shakes have one hole or three holes?

I always thought this was universal, international.  But apparently, it isn't!

I never once doubted that the pepper shake is the one with 3 holes, while the salt shake is the one with one hole.  I don't remember getting it wrong ever either!

It all started with our trip to Nepal - the salt shake is the one with 3 holes, while the pepper shake is the one with 1 hole.  The husband apparently thought like me, and happily sprinkled what he thought is pepper in his food.  Yet to his horror, it was actually salt.  He added salt to his already salty food.  It led me to conclude that Nepalese loved their salt - salty food and salt shake with 3 holes!

I posted a comment on Facebook and a friend I knew from Europe commented that salt shakes with 3 holes are international.  Then I started googling it and realized to my horror that there is no 'international' or 'universal' pepper/salt shakes!

I'm beginning to realize that those universal things I originally thought isn't universal at all.

I used to think that keyboards were universal, since I learnt typing on a typewriter since young and the computer has the exact same keyboard.  I never once suspected that different languages had different keyboards.  After all, I typed Mandarin words using the same keyboard.  Now, I wonder why did I think that?  

No comments:

Post a Comment