Thursday, October 18, 2012

.::. Chikey .::.

We've got a new member at home, and his name is Chikey.  He's Chinook's little brother.

IMG_0690

Here he is.

Have been feeling that our home missed something - Chinook.  I missed having Chinook around so much, yet we've decided not to bring him over and let him keep the FIL company since they've grown so attached.  Chinook was my birthday present and it was the husband who made me fall in love with dogs after bringing me to many dog shows.  He grew up with dogs and love them.  I still remember him driving me to Pasir Ris pet farm one weekend, telling me that I can choose a puppy.  I was so happy then.

We know many neighbors with dogs here, and one of them knows a breeder who imports dogs from Taiwan.  He helped me to find out if they had Dachshunds and there was a black and tan long-hair one which is 7 months old.  The price was negotiable due to the puppy's age.  A few of us went down on Sunday to see the dog, but was held up as the neighbor's car auto-locked after he started the engine and closed the doors.  We wasted a few hours as his spare remote did not work with the key inside the car and engine running.  A mechanic finally managed to open the car and we rushed down to Pasir Ris from Holland Village.

To our dismay, the dog was sold just before we arrived.  We saw the cute puppy and its owners when we arrived.  The shop had a 7-weeks old red long-hair puppies which we could come back for in 2 weeks time. After visiting a few more shops, I almost thought that we would be going back without a puppy.  Yet at the last shop, we found Chikey.  He was so cute and my heart raced when I carried him. The price was even cheaper than the previous puppy although he is only 3.5 months old as he's locally bred.  And so, we brought him home.

He was so obedient and quiet on the first 2 days we had him.  The neighbors even thought that there might be something wrong with him, and we brought him for a checkup just-in-case.  Yet from the second day onwards, it was mayhem.  He broke out of the toilet the first 2 days and made himself comfortable.  We got a fence the third day and he still managed to break out.  He's whining so much whenever we leave him home.  He's still not toilet trained and it's still a long way to go.  He must be a lot smarter than Chinook, because Chinook never ever managed to break out - he just stayed in there and start getting excited when we get back.

IMG_0685

Here he is on the first night at home.  He simply lay there even when we woke up and stared at us.

IMG_0738

Here's me with Chikey.

IMG_0846

Chikey watching TV with me.

IMG_0859

And here's Chikey falling asleep on me.

IMG_0857

And here's Chikey sleeping like a human.

I keep calling Chikey Chinook at times.

But yes, we would like to have a dog settled in before a baby comes.  It'll be nice to have our kids grow up with dogs.  I hate it when kids squirm and scream when they're around dogs.  I hate it even more when people tell me that you should not have dogs when you have kids as they are 'dirty' and 'not good for children'.  These people do not realize how much joy dogs can bring into your life and are missing out on quite abit.

1 comment:

  1. Chikey is so cute!! Yup I agree that it's good for children to grow up with dogs! Adults who are fearful of dogs are quite irritating too! =p

    ReplyDelete