Wednesday, October 17, 2012

.::. Home - Cook - Wash .::.

We have moved in for a week, and everything passed by in a flash.  There's so much to do, so little time. A typical day starts at 6am and I'm rushing to either run errands or head to the supermarket after work.  Then it's cooking or washing and ironing.  It's like a race against time, but there's so much satisfaction seeing our love nest come together.

I've planned to cook often in the new home.  Having your own kitchen is love.  But I realized that cooking on weekdays is a lot more challenging that I thought.  Having to cook after work, then wash up and do laundry or ironing is really hard work.

I've been cooking about twice to three times a week, and we eat with our neighbors at times.

IMG_0786

This is tonight's dinner after getting our rice cooker last weekend.  China kailan with 3-cups chicken.  The husband tuned to an Asian cooking program a few nights ago and I picked up the dish.

And I made egg tofu from soy milk and eggs last weekend when dining with the neighbors.

Home-made Egg Toufu

Ingredients:
500ml unsweetened soy milk
6 eggs
Condiments such as salt

Instructions:
Sieve the mixture of both ingredients and steam at low heat for about 15 minutes.

IMG_0608

The sieved mixture.

IMG_0612

The steamed product.  High heat causes air bubbles and pimples, but I'm using induction and I've no clue how low is low.  I started with 100 degrees, but after 15 minutes, it's still a liquid mixture.  I increased the temperature to 120 and it was ready in another 10 minutes.  I suspect that it's still too high which causes the ugly texture at the bottom.  The top was fine, so was the middle.

I then fried the tofu before stir-frying minced meat with cai-po (preserved turnips) before finishing it with a dash of fried onions.  I think I lacked dark soy sauce.

IMG_0613

It was really time consuming, I spent almost 3 hours on this, steaming 2 batches of tofu.  The frying part takes the longest time!

I would probably give it a 6.5/10.  Lots of room for improvements!

This weekend's plan is to try a duck dish and have teo chew porridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment