Saturday, December 12, 2009

.::. Climate Change Rally .::.

We went to the Bright Green Expo today and headed to town for the 'peaceful' demonstration.

It's the first time I 'took part' in such a demonstration for the obvious reason that demonstrations of such scale is impossible in Singapore, and it's illegal anyway.



There was alot of energy in the air, it was electrifying really. There were so many people with banners, in costumes, waving flags and props. There were even parents bringing their kids along in bicycles.



People climbed up the bus stops, roads were closed and it was almost like a big carnival. I was basking in the atmosphere and feeling rather excited being in the middle of all the action.



That was until the 'explosion'. We took pictures of this 'cool' group in black which were just slightly infront of us. Then after awhile, we heard a loud noise. I thought it was gunshots. And when it sounded again and again, we got rather shocked as people started moving away from that group. Amidst the chaos, I actually witnessed some of these people in black throwing black metal-like eggs towards the police along a small street.

Before I had the time to panick, Anny was already pulling Jessica and Henry was asking me to hold onto his bag tight. We managed to get out really fast, unscathed, apart from the shock. Police started closing in really quickly and blocked the road for awhile before letting the people continue. We looked on by the bridge and saw many police cars started unloading armed special forces into the crowd. The rest of the demonstrators behind seem oblivious to what just happened and they continued.



We stood by the bridge for abit to look on, and there was an obscene number of people. But we were in shock and really didn't feel very safe and fled the scene after awhile.

When we were away from the demonstrators, along the shopping street, it was a totally different atmosphere. Police were in sight EVERYWHERE but people were happily shopping.

*sigh. What an experience. I'm still reeling in shock somewhat. We were so close, and it's my very first time witnessing such a thing. I reckon the most important thing is that I'm safe at home, away from the chaos.

We came back and checked the news, something like 700 people were arrested and there don't seem to be any mention of those 'bombs' from the 'people in black' though. There were people throwing stones and smashing shops, resulting in mass arrests.

It was quite a cool experience, but it just makes me aware that nothing is really what it seems. At the end of the day, what is the point of such demonstrations? Does it really bring awareness and influences policy makers? Or does it result in a loss of lives, waste of resources and destruction?

I really don't quite get it.

People ask me why did I go? I guess it was difficult for me not to go when all the 'action' in this world is focused at somewhere so near at this point of time. I didn't expect it to be violent nor dangerous and I thought that it would be a great experience. But of course, safety always comes first. I'm safe and sound, just alittle wiser. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment