Friday, July 29, 2011

.::. Oslo - Norway .::.

Having been to Norway twice, it's one of my favourite European countries, for the serenity and natural beauty of this country is breathtaking. Oslo is the capital of Norway, and it's an 8 hour bus-ride from Malmo, where I lived in Sweden.

The first time I visited Norway was in November, when the days were really short and cold. It was dark by 4pm, and the city was so quiet and peaceful.

Honestly, Oslo wasn't spectacular. It was calm, and people were mostly distant, like most scandinavians. But it felt really peaceful and modern. You can sense why they have the highest standard of living in the world - people seemed contented! No complaining aunties around, everyone seemed to be chatting happily.

I seriously wondered - how can these people be so happy when a bottle of coke cost almost SGD$10?!



This is Oslo on a cold November evening.

Both times, I spent about a day in Oslo - just to stop by for the night before traveling up north. My first cruise trip along the coast of Norway to Tromso and Kirkenes, stopping by Northern Cape and witnessing the norther lights was so breathtaking that I swore to return during summer - despite the ridiculous prices in Norway.

I returned to Norway again in June, when the boyfriend came to visit. I really wanted to share the beauty of Norway with him. This time, it was for the famous fjords and the 'Norway in a Nutshell Tour'. It was not cheap at all, but it was really worth every penny. The scenery was so beautiful, it makes you really 'touched' and I go all teary feeling thankful to experience these.


Just outside the main train station. I love the vivid blue sky. Don't everyone look contented and relaxed?




This was outside the famous opera house.



The view of Oslo city from the Opera house.




It's shaped like a ship on the sea.



Streets of Oslo



Around Oslo City-center.



Oslo at 7am when we rushed for our train.

Oslo isn't my favourite city in Norway, but it's really calm and peaceful. It makes it difficult to imagine terror and bombs being associated with it. It's where the Nobel Prize is awarded! I feel for the people, the innocent lives which were taken away.

Sometimes you wonder, why do some things happen?

Scandinavians are strong. They somehow look so calm and in-control and detached that you feel like they can get through anything.

We used to discuss about the migration tensions and how the weather (lack of sun) contributes to the high suicide rates in Scandinavia. And then, it makes me wonder if there may be more people with such warped thoughts out there? Pleading insanity is so cliche, but does 'insanity' give people the rights to claim others' lives?

God bless the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment