Thursday, August 4, 2011

.::. Lion King .::.

It was finally Lion King weekend after such a long wait! We bought the tickets like 2 months in advance to get decent seats.

I was filled with anticipation after hearing all the great reviews. Not one person I met had any bad comments about this musical.

We made it to Marina Bay Sands on time although we had to walk from Marina Bay MRT due to National Day Parade road closures.



MBS is so atas. There were so many extremely expensive-looking restaurants there! Joey was commenting about this Wolfgang Puck's steak restaurant called 'CUT' - I came home to check, and a steak can cost SGD$300++!!

I wonder how many Singaporeans can afford eating at such restaurants?



This is the theatre. It's very unlike the 'typical' musical theatres which we are used too.



Us before the show. I was excited!

Was I impressed? Sadly, no.

I'm giving Lion King a 3.5/5 stars. It wasn't bad, but both of us didn't like it much. The visual effects were pretty good, with the animals running up the stage from behind the theatre and colorful costumes. I liked that.

Storyline wise, I felt that it lacked a touching element. I felt that there was a missing link to justify him leaving and then deciding to come back. "Finding yourself' did not do the trick for me. I would have preferred if they made it clearer how he felt cheated and happy that he did not cause his father's death!

I reckon the music and singing was the most disappointing for me. I didn't like the husky male-like voice of Nala. The music didn't particularly move me either.

It must be personal, since so many people loved this musical.

But for me, music is really important and has to really touch my soul in a musical. It's not called musicals for nothing!

Comparing Lion King with my 2 other favourite musicals:











I guess it's obvious that I loved Phantom's songs. It was really THE classical musical. Wicked was more modern and very touching - I cried. It's my favourite all rounder while Lion King scores the best in visuals.



We walked along the Helix Bridge back to city hall after the show. It was really nice, breezy and cooling evening.

This is the new Arts and Science Museum - I would like to visit it someday though I'm probably going to be disappointed. Visiting too many museums in Europe sets one's expectations really high.



The beautiful Helix bridge modeled after humans' DNA structure.



The Helix Bridge with MBS in the background.



It was my first time on the Helix Bridge with the boyfriend!



And we are celebrating Singapore's birthday.



I got a haircut too!

These are the moments when I look at Singapore and feel how lucky I am to be staying in such a beautiful and peaceful country.

No comments:

Post a Comment