Wednesday, December 7, 2011

.::. Breakfast .::.

Decided to spend my last studying day at home, since traveling time was pretty substantial.  I could use those traveling time to sleep instead, though it takes quite abit of discipline to concentrate.

Woke up early to cook breakfast for my little sis who was going to work.  And of course, I cooked for myself and my other sister too.  The older sister likes her eggs scrambled while the younger one had her as an omelette.



My breakfast.

Personally, I love eggs for breakfast and I prefer a savory breakfast.  Ang-moh and teng-nang styles, I love them all.  Give it to me half-boiled, sunny-side-up, scrambled or omelette-ed, it will make me a happy girl in the morning.  That is why I always choose american breakfast although I'm tempted by fluffy pancakes too.

In Sweden, I used to prepare breakfast for myself almost everyday, if I do not have classes early.  I will always have eggs and bacon with mushrooms and baked beans.  It usually goes with a cup of coffee and toast.  It's really the perfect start to the day.  Sadly, the kitchen isn't really conducive for cooking and time isn't a luxury nowadays.



I love the smell of sizzling garlic.



And I love mushrooms.  Sauté it with some butter, add a dash of red wine and some salt and spices, it'll taste so good.


Saw a friend sharing this kitchen on Facebook, and I like the idea of bright white kitchens.

One of the favorite part of staying in Sweden was the cooking and baking.  I loved it when we gathered together to cook different dishes and eat together after that.  Sometimes we each contributed a dish each, sometimes it was chinese and sometimes it was traditional German or French meals.  We got to know each other's life and culture through food.  Sometimes I cooked, and sometimes I baked.  We came together to cook, connected through our meals and washed the dishes together.

Those were the days.

Increasingly, it seems like modern, educated woman do not cook or does not know how to cook or simply do not like to cook.  I think it's such a pity, since family life revolves a lot around cooking. I'm still very traditional in that sense, I think a good wife and mother should know how to cook.  It's a joy cooking for people you love and have them enjoy the food you cook.  It's an expression of love, an art form, which takes time, love from within and patience to do it well.  Imagine waking up to freshly cooked breakfast and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee instead of packet food.  Imagine coming home to a sumptuous meal and hot soup after a rainy long day at work.  Imagine cooking a feast and inviting all the relatives over to gather and connect over the meal.  I find solace in cooking, it gives me a sense of calm and happiness when people finish up the food I cook.  Maybe many of us will scorn at the work and time involved, but hey, that's the pleasure in life!  Instead of thinking about how much work you can avoid, think of all the laughter and happiness that multiplies.

I look forward to having my own kitchen and doing lots of cooking in it.  I think I'm most excited about that when it comes to having my own place.  I've imagined how my kitchen will look like - white and spacious.  And I will have a solid oak dining table with benches. It'll almost feel like being back in Sweden again, and I can survive without any takeaway food nor restaurant meals!

I going to make sure my husband and future kids wake up to the aroma of cooked breakfast and freshly brewed coffee (at least during weekends).  And I hope to fill my children's memories with all the delicious, wholesome food their mother whip up.  Hopefully, when they think of home, it'll be a warm and happy place filled with comfort food and happy memories.

Idealistic, I am.  But you know what they say about dreams?  When you keep visualizing them and believing in them, they come true.  Your life will eventually turn out the way you want it to be, simply because you made deliberate choices to make them happen.

Moreover, it's easier to incorporate healthy habits and nutritious food into your diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment