Monday, June 24, 2013

.::. The Haze .::.

All people talk about is the haze these days. And it's truly the bane of my existence for someone who has allergy rhinitis (and all things allergy) plus asthma.

My windows has been closed since last Monday till this weekend. I've been feeling it since Monday, although the PSI was in the 100 range. I feel it once I step outdoors, my eyes start watering, nose start running, wind pipes start to shrink. It's instantaneous, and I really dislike feeling that way.

We stayed in on Tuesday to celebrate our anniversary. The husband suddenly told me that he bought tickets for STOMP the musical on Wednesday. It was a pleasant surprise really, although all I want to do is to run home and hide from this horrid haze.

Going to MBS wasn't that bad since it's train and indoors all the way. The haze seemed to worsen as the day went.

IMG_8432

IMG_8433

IMG_8436

Thank you darling. It was a great musical by the way - entertaining, interactive and really impressive rhythms! We missed it years back, and the husband has been wanting to watch it.

And by the time we were done with the musical, we came out with news that PSI has hit 290. Horrors. The haze was seen and felt even indoors - it was hazy inside. I feel all my allergy symptoms immediately, and the husband had to queue outside for the taxi while I hid inside.

It went above 300 by the time we were home. I didn't feel well, and there's no way I'm making my way to work in that haze. I ended up with 2 days MC and inhalers, all sort of allergy medicine and steroids just in case I really couldn't breathe.

So I hid at home, shut all my windows and on-off my air-con periodically to save on electrical cost. I bought groceries enough to last me for the weekend and just hibernated.  Looking outside made me depressed, and it really felt like the world was going to end. I was so thankful to be indoors.

Thursday was bad, but Friday was worse. It was hazy on Thursday but all brown by Friday.

2013-06-20

2013-06-21

It was so horrible, we decided to stay-in. It was our friend's birthday and I spent Friday cooking for everyone. It's comforting to gather inside during days like that.

IMG_8554

Although the PSI on Saturday was alright, the PM2.5 readings were still way high and I still didn't feel well. Sunday was better though my nose never quite got over the haze till now.

We did go out for dinner in the evenings, but spent most of the day at home, catching up with some sleep and household chores.

IMG_8604

IMG_8608

IMG_8620

Chikey must be the happiest, since I'm home with him for the past few days.

Although we've some brief respite from the haze, I'm all prepared and expecting it to be back. There's ample 'liang teh' in the fridge perpetually, I've stocked my kitchen up, my brother has got us some N95 masks and my air-purifier will arrive early next week. If need be, I'm going to hide at home and work from home when the haze worsens.

*sigh*

Haze, please be gone.

And on another note, really pissed off with the Indonesian's 'tahu diri' comment and somewhat disappointed with what has (or has not) been done, plus all the manipulating of information. Singaporeans complain, and there's the profiteering and all. But what makes me saddest is perhaps knowing that we're a product of our society and upbringing. When crisis occur, some think of making money out of selling masks at higher prices (demand vs supply) while our government starts telling us how much GDP and productivity will be sacrificed due to the haze. Who knows if those 'Singaporeans' are 'new' or 'old' or if the rising standard of living has really driven some to desperation in a bid for survival and some income. *big sigh*

1 comment:

  1. Informative and interesting Blog! Beautifully written, as usual, I like the post. Thank you so much for nice sharing with us. Keep posting!

    car key replacement singapore

    ReplyDelete