Thursday, January 2, 2014

.::. The Honeymoon - Part I .::.

I know, it's been a year, but late is better than never. It really doesn't feel that long ago.

The year started with the wedding on 19th January' 2013. It was crazy like all weddings are, even though we're really extremely chill and my parents did not ask for anything. I really had to stay very detached and not think about how I felt about what people said nor thought, and simply focus on what had to be done. I refused to think nor talk about it to anyone. Those are not pleasant memories that I'd like to remember, and regretfully, weddings ain't every girl's happiest day in their life. I know the husband had tried his best and have given me all he could. For that, I'm really thankful. Afterall, a wedding is a day and a marriage is for a lifetime - so the guy matters so much more!

The wedding was so near by birthday, and I totally forgot about it. The night before the wedding, just when I was staying home, preparing and packing, the neighbors suddenly turned up with a cake. It was really sweet and unexpected, making me so touched. The husband was out, doing up the wedding car, and did not join us. It was those neighborhood bakery kinda cake, the kind which you had as a child.


IMG_4688

Here I was, looking horrid with zero makeup, flat hair and eye bags from lack of sleep.

IMG_0889

The wedding went without a hitch, thanks to the girls who simply prepared everything and chased me over the weeks to get things done. I think the day just passed me by, I didn't know what was happening half the time. It's like I'm still detached, holding my breath. This picture was so strange, because my parents never were the expressive sort. When the photographer asked my parents to kiss me, it was an extremely awkward moment. My parents have brought me up well, and I hope that they can worry less about me now that I've found my partner in life. I think I'll be fine, come what may.

IMG_3712

Here's both of us on the flight, relieved that the wedding went smoothly. Our flight was at 9.30pm, Saturday. We had to fly the same night, because the husband had to attend a course for work that started on Monday. Both of us barely slept the night before and barely had much to eat. By the time we made it back to our hotel room, it was already 5pm. We had to leave for the airport by 7.30pm and had to pack all the wedding stuff to be sent back. I only had time for a bath and grab some food before we laced up and grabbed out backpacks for the honeymoon. We did have some time to gobble up some noodles before we got on the plane though, we were famished!

IMG_4285

It was an extremely long journey that took us 24 hours. Here's the husband walking in the snow and trying to find the way with a tiny map in his phone. I swear I was half-dead by the time I made it there. We transited in Dubai to reach London. Then, we took a 3.5hr bus ride to Birmingham. Then, walked in the snow to take a train to the school. The train was delayed for 40mins. We then had to walk in the snow for almost 30mins to find the 'hotel' in the campus. I was really tired by then, and some bratty kids started throwing snow balls at us! I was furious and annoyed. They scrambled away when I screamed at them, telling them that I'll take their pictures and send them to the school.

It was so cold, and I was so tired. I practically changed into my PJs and dived into the warm bed. The poor husband had to go straight to orientation class! He came back to wake me up for pizza with his course mates and professor. A tad strange, but I was too tired and hungry to care if I looked horrible with my bed-hair. And for the record, the pizza was horrible, bought nearby in the campus and made by students.

IMG_4403
IMG_3795

These are the view from the 'hotel' in the school. It's called Lucas House I think. We moved rooms after a night as the toilet was leaking. Birmingham isn't usually covered in snow, I heard. We were there for a week and that was the only week that it was covered in snow. =_="

The husband went for classes Monday to Friday, and I occupied myself. I went shopping in Birmingham town center on Monday, because I FORGOT TO BRING ANY JEANS WITH ME FOR THE TRIP. It's ridiculous! I only had a pair of comfortable cotton leggings that I wore for the plane ride and realized the I left my jeans at home. The same happened during the ROM when I forgot to pack any pants (just tops) and had to walk around Marina Bay Sands in my gown to find a shop that sells not-too-expensive-like-g-star-kinda-pants.

I had to walk 20 minutes (in the snow) to reach the university train station where I take a 15 minute train ride to the town center. It felt so far.

Birmingham was a pretty town.

IMG_3780 IMG_3779

And I did what I used to do a lot during my days in Sweden. I bought a hot coffee and sat there, watching the world go by. I wasn't in a hurry and had nothing much to do. I loved that feeling, something which I don't have the luxury of these days. I love being alone and having such personal time to connect with myself and reflect on life. I feel at peace and blessed.

I did get myself some jeans and some necessities for both of us. I had Jamie's Italian by the way, and it was horrible. The truffle fries was alright. But the pasta was an ultimate disappointment. It was barely warm and the noodles were sticking together - how can that happen in an Italian restaurant?! I've never had pasta sticking together at any restaurants, not even Ikea!

I love Europe. I made plans to head to London myself the following day, checking out tickets and all. It wasn't that cheap, about 2.5 hours from Birmingham. But because I didn't start my day that early and didn't want to get back too late, I didn't have that much time in London.

IMG_3816

I went straight to Borough Market and had some good-old fish and chips in a typical english pub, finished with a beer!

IMG_4484

Then I did some sightseeing, strolling along the river and visiting Big Ben. I love that area and just strolling. It was cold and windy, but I like it.

I then went hunting for the Victoria Secret shop (it wasn't cheap, much more expensive than online from USA) and then shopping along Oxford's - Zara and Primark was cheap! 

The day ended with a grabbing a soup at Four Seasons and da-bao-ing the famous duck from London to Birmingham to share with the husband. 

It was bitterly cold that night in Birmingham and almost 9pm when I got back to the room. The duck was cold despite my best efforts to keep it warm by wrapping it with my scarf. The husband was complaining about how they only have cold food like sandwiches and salad in the canteen. We ate on the bed, he was grumpy.

It was my birthday on Wednesday. He had a course dinner and the coordinator was nice enough to invite me along since she knew I tagged along after the wedding. It kinda sucked, but there wasn't anywhere else I'd like to be but with the husband on my birthday, on my honeymoon!


IMG_4602


So I stayed in and explored the campus, taking lots of photos of the winter wonderland. I ate cold duck and fried rice for lunch with students exclaiming with envy at my food through the window (we stayed in the ground floor room and I was admiring the falling snow - I could hear them!). I spent the afternoon planning the rest of our trip, booking hotels and checking transport options. Most importantly, I managed to get us tickets to catch a Manchester United match at Old Trafford! I was so excited (to my husband's dismay) to get tickets. It was surreal and I was all ready for our real honeymoon.

The dinner wasn't that fantastic. I mean how fun can a formal master course dinner be, with tables of engineers? It was snowing heavily and very cold, I didn't have anything nice to wear. The very kind course coordinator picked us up in a london cab as it was a 15 minute walk - in the snow. That was how I celebrated my 27th birthday on my honeymoon. I think I should be given credit for not making a fuss nor making the husband feel (too) guilty about it. =p

IMG_3860
Thursday. I went to Cambridge. I thought I had 2 days - to visit Cambridge and Bath. But I realized that I'm left with one day as the husband finishes his course on Friday afternoon. It was a long 3 hour train ride from Birmingham central (after the 20 minute walk in the snow and 15 minute train ride). I almost didn't make it to Cambridge. When I was at the university train station, there was this paper pasted on the ticketing machine, saying that it's out of order and trains are not running. It was scribbled using a pen. I heard trains downstairs and saw some people on the platform. I then tried to press the touch-screen of the machine, and it worked. It struck me that perhaps someone played a prank? I happily tore that notice out and tried to by a ticket. The next moment, this frumpy woman came and screamed at me, asking me to read the notice (as if I can't read English) and pasted it right back. I wasn't able to buy tickets and she insisted that trains weren't running and I can't get to Birmingham Central. Rudely, I've to add.

Well, I only had one day which I could go and I really wanted to go. Out of desperation, I slipped through the open gates and went to the platform. People were standing around and a train pulled up shortly! I made it to Birmingham Central.

I had another problem when I arrived. I had no ticket. They don't always check tickets at the entrance and most of the time, people can walk in and out. But I was so unlucky, with lots of people queuing to pay the fine. I did something bad - I used a used ticket and flashed it to them nonchalantly. They let me pass without checking. *phew! It's not that I do not want to pay but I really didn't have much time to get the train tickets to Cambridge. I wanted to catch the walking tour badly and couldn't miss the train.

I made it on the train, and even had time to get a coffee. I took a cab to reach the tour office of the walking tour as I had barely 10 minutes before the start of the tour. Sadly, I missed it - the timing was different from what was stipulated on the guide book. =( I had no choice walk around myself and go on the punting tour instead.

IMG_3871IMG_3873
Cambridge was really beautiful. I loved the ceilings of the church.











It was really cold, and I didn't have time to eat. I barely had time to run around the main sights before making my way to the punting tour. It started at 3pm and ended at 4pm. I was sitting on the boat with an empty stomach, in the cold.


IMG_4724



By the time I was done with the tour, I was really famished and feeling cold and weak. I had to get some food.

IMG_3870

I finally found a cafe and had hot tea and curry chicken rice. A very strange choice I know, but it was so good for a cold and hungry person.

IMG_4627

























I ate to this view! Again, feeling blessed. I got to walk around and visited their bookstore before having to make it back to the train station. During adventures like this, I'm constantly alert, planning my next step and being afraid, not sure if I can pull it off. It was a good 20 minutes walk to the train station in the dark, and I had to ask for directions quite a few times.

Cambridge has so many stories. It's such a heritage-rich place to study at, a chance that I'll never get I suppose. Oh well.

I stayed in on Friday and waited for the husband to finish his class before visiting Birmingham Central together. It was almost evening by the time he finished. I checked out postage for his course notes (not possible to backpack with it for 2 weeks), and we went to settle it before going for dinner. Dinner was nice, at this glass restaurant, overlooking the church in Birmingham.

Most importantly, his course has finally ended and our honeymoon is starting officially! We were still staying at the university till checkout on Sunday, but Saturday was Manchester United and Liverpool day!

IMG_4825

Here's us on Saturday morning, with an obligatory photo with the university before we head to Liverpool!

This is taking longer than I thought and it's already past midnight. I think it's going to take quite a few parts.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment